5 Subscribers

My status

Available for hire...

ask for a free quote

I can work from anywhere in the world

What programming language has made you the happiest?

Update: Mentioned in a Podcast(Ep 7), these guys be raping everyone

If this post bores you instead at least make sure you watch this -  HUNTSVILLE RAPIST

What programming language has made you the happiest?

The moments where each key you press is an orgasm in your finger tips. I need this feeling back so I’m asking you to help me. I think it’s interesting also to really think about it and try to understand at a lower level why a certain language  has made you happy.

Lately I have been feeling pretty unhappy(over worked, lack of sunlight and keyboard keys are slowly breaking) so I’ve been trying to find ways to make myself happier. I attribute most of my unhappiness though to having to use PHP for all my current projects. PHP has never made me terribly excited and the only reason it makes me somewhat happy is it’s good for quick money but as you know
money doesn’t equal happiness.

So I’ve spent nearly the entire day trying to think of which language is fun and enjoyable to code in. I asked one friend which language and he promptly replied “C#, because before then I kept running into things”. Due to my unhappiness it took me a while to get the joke. All I’m after is some advice on a language I can use for 30mins a day to build something small, that will ignite my passion to code. I’ve used pretty much everything but I can’t recall any estatic moments right now.  Also by programming language I mean anything I can make a utility out of, could be scripting or programming.

Update: Some guy has already done a statistical analysis of twitter sentiments lol

Update 2: This was probably what I was looking for quoted from a guy off ycombinator(dpcan)
I don’t think the language makes me happy, I think my situation makes me happy, so by association, I’m happy with the language I’m coding in at the time I’m happy. Or something like that.

Update 3: Some great comments guys!

p.s. Please Like my page on Facebook with the button in top right corner, its funny!

TELL US YOUR HAPPIEST LANGUAGE BELOW

Popularity: 37% [?]

posted on Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 by admin in Rants

34 Responses to “What programming language has made you the happiest?”

1. Brad Reaves says:

This was how I felt when I learned Python. Native useful data structures, self-documenting code, easy-to-use modules written for most common tasks, and syntax that feels like pseudocode.

Now, I cringe at the thought of having to write anything in C. The only thing that it is hard to do in Python (in 2.7 anyway) is bit and byte manipulation of data, but that’s pretty rare except for embedded systems. This is a real strength of C.

2. Andy says:

Common Lisp always ignites my passion to code, ever since the concept of Macros 'clicked' for me.

3. Short answer: python
    Long answer:
    - I feel very relaxed (almost happy) when I code in python (even if I have bugs, it’s a joy to debug :P );
    - I am very happy when I finish something in C and it’s working (still I am not that relaxed when I actually code, C can be squeamish sometimes).
    - I am amazed (by me) when I write something in Haskell.
    - Weird but I don’t feel any pain or joy when I am using Java… you… it’s plain old boring Java…

4. admin says:

@Brad and @Andrei
    It’s easy on the eyes looking at python code and I can see how you could remain pleasant so far I’m torn between Python, LISP and Ruby

@Andy
    How long does it take for it to ‘click’ lol

5. James says:

Ruby may have some criticisms against it, but I think it is undeniably the best language for making people “enjoy coding with it.”

I suggest starting with this http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/?Chapter=00 to learn the basics of Ruby. Then you could follow this http://railstutorial.org/book to learn how to make websites in Rails.

6. admin says:

@James
    Thanks, I’ve been slowly learning Ruby/RoR but do need some better recommended sources, I’m addicted to the easy deployment methods of RoR host.

7. Joey says:

C was my very first language, it still does that magic for me. The feeling of being able to work close to the metal and fundamentals of the machine is one I have cherished. Python did this to me as well, I enjoyed the vast tasks it could accomplish with ease.

8. admin says:

@Joey
    I went from web development to programming so the processing speed confused me at first as I thought my application wasn’t even executing.

9. James says:

I’ve ready many other sources, and this could just come down to personal preference, but I think those two sources are the only guides needed. Everything else I get from the Ruby API documentation http://ruby-doc.org/core/ , Ruby Toolbox http://ruby-toolbox.com/ , and googling.

One thing I really like about those two guides though, is that they have challenges for you to figure out on your own along the way. I learn the most from doing every step in the guide on my own computer (I even type everything in rather than copy-paste) and doing all the challenges.

I might also throw in RubyFlow as a good read http://www.rubyflow.com/ and I’ve noticed a lot of my Google results lead me to Stack Overflow http://stackoverflow.com for good answers.

10. Brian says:

Smalltalk. Ruby and Python have come close, sometimes very close. Neither has matched the synergy that can result when tools are so effective they become invisible in the expression of an idea.

11. basicxman says:

Ruby, there’s an awesome debugger and REPL (irb) as well as an amazing plugin system (RubyGem). The community is fantastic too.

12. Python. Not because I find the language particularly beautiful or expressive but because it seems to only consume a small part of my attention and memory, allowing me to think more about the actual application I’m working on. I find Perl, Ruby, Haskell, ML, and Common Lisp to all be beautiful and elegant (in their own ways) and fun to code in, but in all of them, I feel like I spend more time thinking about the language and considering different options for how best to express my ideas in the language. This may have something to do with why Python is well represented in the comments here, but not in the twitter research. When I’m happy and coding in Python, I’m happy because I’m not even thinking about Python, so I’m not likely to tweet about Python, but about something interesting in the actual problem domain.

13. Brian Hurt says:

Ocaml. Hands down.

I freely admit it- I don’t like debugging code. I find it demoralizing. You spend hours, days, even weeks tracking down some problem only to discover that it’s some trivial error, rectified by a few keystrokes, or at most a changed line or two.

Even if it was just an even swap- that every hour less of debugging time just meant you spent an extra hour on designing or coding, it’d still be a win. I enjoy designing and coding way more than debugging. And the swap is no where near even- an additional five minutes of design in return for an hour less of debugging is a clear win. And, actually, now that I’m familiar with the idioms and patterns of the language, I’m not even sure it adds any extra time to design or coding, it just reduces the debugging time by huge amounts.

14. Perl then C does it for me— excuse the silly rhyme but it does convey my enjoyment of these two languages. I started programming in C using something called Tiny C from Scott Guthrie, then BDS C all on 8 bit boxes then when The IBM PC was born, Turbo C arrived to save the day! Big ….

15. Andrei says:

Erlang! I was happy with Python for a while, but Erlang changed the way I think about programs and programming in a magical, wonderful way. The learning curve is a bit steep, but it’s worth it.

16. David Jacobs says:

Ruby first (after the torture that was Java/C++). Now Lisp, specifically Clojure and Racket.

17. little_lambda says:

Lisp, although not Common Lisp. It has always felt clunky and bloated to me, and the two separate namespaces for functions and “everything else” make functional programming feel gross.

Scheme, however, is simple and pure. Writing in it is a joy, and every time I bust out some Scheme code I feel very, very happy. You start with a small, clean language base and build anything you want on top of it. Sure, you don’t have all the goodies baked in, but if you’ve got enough time rolling your own feels so much better. It, unlike Common Lisp, has a single namespace, meaning you can do things like “(define + 3)”. While not a particularly useful example, it highlights how a good language remove the artificial barrier between “functions” and “data”.

In short, when I want to indulge myself, I write in Scheme. Everything else feels artificial and fake to me.

18. Larry Grove says:

LabVIEW. Very productive. It is a graphically based language. This makes it easy to run in your head. I can view more code at one glance than I can with a text-based language. So also I can remember that code for off-line analysis.

19. Lua guy says:

Like Brad and Andrei, I like Python and has on occasion helped me find fleeting happiness. However what I do with Python doesn’t really feel much like programming anymore since most of my time with it is actually spent researching library code and working around installation issues.

These days I get the most fun from embedding Lua into a body of existing code and moving higher level logic away from C/C++ functions into configurable scripts.

20. Nathan B says:

Ruby is beautiful :)

21. admin says:

Did no one like action script? =D

• Jonathan says:

I do! Flash Builder 4 makes it pretty painless to do… but I think many other programmers are turned off by using the Flash IDE.

22. Roseele Dahang says:

Python :) , but with Rails…. Ruby is magic

23. ethagnawl says:

JavaScript’s Good Parts

24. J.R. Garcia says:

Clojure is my favorite. It really excites me. For those looking to learn Ruby, check out Ruby Koans (http://rubykoans.com/). It teaches you Ruby through having you fix failing tests. It’s really cool.

All that said, I’ll say that the language that causes me the most pain is C#. The language itself is fantastic, but everything surrounding the language is a HUGE pain.

25. Evan says:

I hate threads like this. It’s like a silly game of oneupmanship and PHP-bashing. Therefore, I’m going to be honest and say PHP. Sure, it has a few warts on it, but I’ve grown to understand them and they’ve become second nature. As with anything that has wide ranging application and needs to fill many disparate gaps, its simplicity is going to suffer. And there’s a fine line between being too ugly / unwieldy to use and too simple to be applicable in the wild. I think PHP performs a good balancing act. And, as with many languages, you are welcomed to improve upon it: http://www.php.net/license/contrib-guidelines-code.php

We could talk about how Latin was better than English. Or how great Esperanto is. But it’s not apples-to-apples. The underlying histories, cultures (and there are cultures in programming), and infrastructures create a reality that can’t be boiled down into a statistical analysis of tweets or a list of unique preferences. Just because you’re bored with a language doesn’t make it the reason your soul is suffering. Like they say in golf, don’t blame a bad shot on your clubs.

26. thomasdavis_au says:

can you link us to the best page for LabVIEW?

27. thomasdavis_au says:

lol thats some serious experience, whats the biggest php project have you worked on

28. thomasdavis_au says:

29. @jacortinas says:

yeah that's crazy. I did not even know the language was around that long.

30. Harleqin says:

Common Lisp. I actually like the separate namespaces, because I can call a list list, a map map, and a car car.

31. suzen says:

Php mysql with java scripting. if you have online business this is only language you can go far.

posted by little_lambda • October 6, 2010

posted by Larry Grove • October 7, 2010

posted by Lua guy • October 7, 2010

Ruby is beautiful :)

posted by Nathan B • October 7, 2010

Did no one like action script? =D

posted by admin • October 7, 2010

Python :) , but with Rails…. Ruby is magic

posted by Roseele Dahang • October 7, 2010

JavaScript’s Good Parts

posted by ethagnawl • October 7, 2010

Clojure is my favorite. It really excites me. For those looking to learn Ruby, check out Ruby Koans (/web/20101221013513/http://rubykoans.com/). It teaches you Ruby through having you fix failing tests. It’s really cool.

posted by J.R. Garcia • October 7, 2010

I hate threads like this. It’s like a silly game of oneupmanship and PHP-bashing. Therefore, I’m going to be honest and say PHP. Sure, it has a few warts on it, but I’ve grown to understand them and they’ve become second nature. As with anything that has wide ranging application and needs to fill many disparate gaps, its simplicity is going to suffer. And there’s a fine line between being too ugly / unwieldy to use and too simple to be applicable in the wild. I think PHP performs a good balancing act. And, as with many languages, you are welcomed to improve upon it: /web/20101221013513/http://www.php.net/license/contrib-guidelines-code.php

posted by Evan • October 7, 2010

posted by Jonathan • October 7, 2010

I think the flash community made it fun for me to, we has to have AS coding battles on Kirupa

posted by thomasdavis_au • October 7, 2010

can you link us to the best page for LabVIEW?

posted by thomasdavis_au • October 7, 2010

posted by thomasdavis_au • October 7, 2010

posted by thomasdavis_au • October 7, 2010

yeah that's crazy. I did not even know the language was around that long.

posted by @jacortinas • October 9, 2010